Today, Nintendo of Europe gave some details about the upcoming “Nintendo Ambassadors” programme. Although they did not reveal the 10 mystery titles, they did give us some details on other aspects of the games:
For the NES games, the following is included:
– A basic manual giving only the controls (We can’t freakin’ wait to read the manuals can we?)
– Alternating multiplayer (turn-taking) on one system with games that support it, like Super Mario. Bros.
– VC Suspend function (saves the game where you left off by pressing HOME)
At a later date, the NES titles will be released on the eShop for people who waited to buy their systems; when that happens, Ambassadors will be able to update their games to receive the following:
– A full electronic manual detailing all gameplay features and modes (Oh hell yes! Manuals!)
– Simultaneous multiplayer on multiple systems for games that support it (like Ice Climbers)
– Restore Point Function (as used in the Gameboy VC games at the moment; lets you make a save point you can return to if you muck up).
The Gameboy Advance titles will be available later in the year, and only available to Ambassadors. They will include the following:
– A full electronic manual (Wow, they’re spoiling us with the manuals!)
However, they will not support VC Suspend or Restore Point, but any game with a save feature will work as normal. If you close the 3DS, it won’t enter sleep mode (So they’ll play like GBA games on the Lite).
Later this year, Nintendo will release a firmware update that will allow the NES and GBA games to be transfered to another 3DS system, much like the DSi to 3DS method.
UPDATE: Nintendo of Europe have also confirmed that if you are in doubt about your eligibility for the Ambassador Programme, that soon a website will open, where if you input your 3DS’ serial number, it will tell you if you have received the Saint Mario’s Cross for upstanding loyalty to the 3DS cause (Actually, it will just tell you if you’re eligible or not). If you are not, fear not! Because if you purchased your 3DS before the price drop (12th August) and you still have your receipt; you can use that to register for the programme!
The website (that has yet to open) is http://www.ambassador.nintendo-europe.com.