A variety of small websites and Wikipedia are reporting that a 3DS update is coming soon. Whether this information is credible or not is undetermined, but the list of updates does include things mentioned by Iwata a while ago, such as entering the eShop via internet browsers on computers and iOS devices. The updated apparently includes:
* Ability to access Nintendo eShop account from other internet enabled devices including computers and smartphones.
* This system update will allow users to take pictures of QR codes with the 3DS from the other device’s screen to redeem purchased content.
* This update will add the application “Nintendo Network” to the 3DS.
* Ability to update physical Nintendo 3DS Games via Nintendo Shop (DLC feature).
* A “Game Preview” Mode for the Nintendo 3DS system Nintendo Shop.
* Enhances the speed of the handheld.
* Increases the system security with automatic security updates.
* Nintendo Zone will be automatically added to European 3DS owners.
Everything mentioned seems to believable, but until confirmation from Nintendo, it’s a rumour for now.