Remember Miitomo, Nintendo’s first mobile game? It launched on 17th March 2016 with a new Nintendo account system and took over the community… for a week or two. Now, Nintendo is shutting down the app.
As of 8am on 9th May 2018, this curious experiment will no longer be operational. Like Miiverse before it, Miitomo was a social app that found a charming way of bringing together Nintendo fans. However, a lack of gripping gameplay meant that it lacked sticking power beyond the initial novelty.
In the official statement detailing the end of Miitomo, it notes that the in-app Miitomo coins stopped being available yesterday, 24th January. So that you may still enjoy Miitomo Drop and other in-game activities until 9th May, daily login bonuses and game tickets will be rewarded for simply logging into the app.
Miitomo certainly won’t be going out with a whimper. The Miitomo Final Thank You Festival features the final chance for Tweeting out your favourite photos (full announcement here).
The complete list of Miitomo services ending on 9th May 2018:
- If you launch the app after the end of service on 5/9, you’ll see a message informing you that service has ended. You will no longer be able to use any of the app’s features.
- You will no longer be able to see your answers or messages in the app.
- You will no longer be able to use items you’ve obtained in the app, such as clothing items, wallpapers, or posters.
- You can transfer your Mii™ character to your Nintendo Account by linking it to Miitomo. (Its personality and other information will not be carried over.)
- Sidekick Mii characters will be deleted. You can keep Sidekick Mii characters by saving them as a QR Code® before the end of service on 5/9/2018 12:00 AM (PDT). They can then be transferred to Mii Maker on the Nintendo 3DS™ family of systems or the Wii U™ console.
- You will not be able to view Miifotos, including Miifotos you have shared to your social media channels. If you want to save any Miifotos, you must save them to your smart device before 5/9/2018 12:00 AM (PDT).
- Miitomo- themed icons and clothing items used in your Nintendo Account or the Super Mario Run™ game will not display after the service has ended.
While understandable given how many dropped off of Miitomo, it’s sad to see another part of Nintendo history be ended. Without this, we may not have seen Pokémon Go, Super Mario Run, and the other Nintendo mobile offerings since…