Tomorrow is Pokémon Day! It’s the anniversary of the date that the first mainline games, Pokémon Red and Green, were released in Japan, and there is a bunch of neat events going on to celebrate the day (no, it isn’t Pokémon Switch, settle down).
To summarise, this is what’s going on on the 27th (the official video is above, too):
- Pokémon Go players can catch a unique Pikachu – complete with new hat and the move Present – until 1pm UK time on February 28th. The Stardust reward will be tripled for these captures.
- Amazon Alexa and Google Home are getting special Pikachu Talk modes, which simulate you talking to Pikachu (hopefully better than Hey You! Pikachu for N64).
- Snapchat will have new lenses themed around Kanto starters Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle. They will be available for three days at a time, going in Pokédex order; a range of stickers are also being released.
- Pokémon the Movie: I Choose You! can be viewed for free (for a week) on Pokémon TV! The film came out last year, and we’ve recently been getting new information on the 2018 follow-up.
- If you’re able to go the Pokémon Center, then you can witness the start of the brand new Pokémon Gallery figures; Charizard is the first of these large-scale introductions.
- To coincide with the year of Legendary Pokémon, new pins will also be at the Pokémon Center. February saw Dialga and Palkia available for download, and they will be getting the pin treatment first as well. Just as new Legendaries become downloadable each month, new pins will be launched.
Are you doing anything special for Pokémon Day? Well, the official Pokémon website has some Christmas-themed suggestions for you.